Group

Group Admins

• Profile picture of Katy Meyers Emery

GIS, Space and Open Web Mapping

Public Group active 1 week, 3 days ago

Group to discuss challenges, hacks, questions, and discussions regarding the use of spatial tools for digital archaeology

Arc Story Map

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Kate Ellenberger Kate Ellenberger 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #534
    Profile photo of Ashley Peles
    Ashley Peles
    Participant

Because one project just isn’t enough…does anyone have experience (good, bad, ugly) with Arc Story Maps? I know there are other probably more elegant, and certainly more open source, methods for displaying multimedia with spatial map data, but we thought Story Maps might provide a much quicker, out of the box visualization. For reference, we’ve got a PDF map of a cemetery located in the center of UNC’s campus and we’re planning on appending previously collected information to the map (photos, grave markings, perhaps historical information) just as an example of what can be done.

#535
    Profile photo of Ethan Watrall
    Ethan Watrall
    Keymaster

well, you know I’m not a fan of proprietary, closed software…so I won’t even go into that.

I did have one of my Cultural Heritage Informatics Grad Fellows use ARC Story Map last year for a project.  He found it easy to use, but ultimately a little restrictive because the platform is closed (no code to hack or edit, etc).

A couple of other options that are designed to create similar sorts of experiences:

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Profile photo of Ethan Watrall Ethan Watrall.
    #537
    Profile photo of Ashley Peles
    Ashley Peles
    Participant

Oh, I had not heard of either of those…Storymap.js looks like it might be a great option. Especially if the code can be messed with…we have some 3d photogrammetry models of some of the gravestones, but with Arc Story Map there’s no way to embed them. Perhaps we can figured that out with the js option. Thanks!

#538
    Profile photo of Stacey Camp
    Stacey Camp
    Participant

Ethan – Thanks for sharing those open source storymap creators. I am trying to do this with my grad students next month, so I will try them both out!

#539
    Profile photo of Ethan Watrall
    Ethan Watrall
    Keymaster

I’ve had lots and lots of students use storymap.js.  I’ve never used (or had a student use) Odyssey.  So, if anyone uses it, please post the result…because I’m very curious about the product.

#543
    Profile photo of Kate Ellenberger
    Kate Ellenberger
    Participant

My advisor and a historical archaeologist from the CRM company attached to our university started one, neither of them is a certified-level GIS professional so I am not sure to what extent they could talk about it.

My advisor’s project is an oral history project from a low income neighborhood here in Binghamton and is co-directed with a professor from the Public Administration department.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=9cf894d69ae84f728b00ae830a6a5f20

Happy to ask questions of them if you want! She is not into online forums or social media so is unlikely to come on here herself.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Close

Account Activated

Your account was activated successfully! You can now log in with the username and password you provided when you signed up.

Close

Account sign-in

Please use the form below to sign-in to your account.

Forgot password?
Close

Recover password

Please enter your username or email address. You will receive a link to create a new password via email.

We've sent you an activation link. Please check your inbox.

Close

Account signup

1 Account Info

2 Personal Info

Registering for this site is easy, just fill in the fields below and we'll get a new account set up for you in no time.

In order to avoid spam, automatic account registration is restricted to emails from the following domains – .edu, .org, .gov. To register with a different email address, please write to digitalarchaeology@matrix.msu.edu to request an account.

Success!

A confirmation link has been emailed to you

Skip to toolbar