Group

Group Admins

• Profile picture of Ethan Watrall

Institute for Digital Archaeology Method & Practice

Public Group active 5 years, 3 months ago

Discussion group for the members and faculty of the NEH Funded Institute for Digital Archaeology Method & Practice (http://digitalarchaeology.msu.edu) organized by Michigan State University’s Department of Anthropology and MATRIX: The Center for Digital Humanities and Social Sciences

Bowers Laboratory Archaeological Repo

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ben Carter 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #288

Shawn
    Participant

Hi Stacey & team,

So, my first thoughts in terms of the project. The scope of what you’re proposing seems entirely feasible to me; there are many platforms and tools available to achieve what you’re looking to do. In terms of webmapping, you could get a prototype together quite quickly by forking https://github.com/matrix-msu/daea (live: http://matrix-msu.github.io/daea/ ). There are other things out there with many more bells & whistles etc, but there’s something appealingly straightforward about how the DAEA works (and of course one could build into it overlays of historic maps, other kinds of data).

Does that sort of thing work for you….? For working with first nations’ materials in a repository, it might be worth checking out the Mukurtu framework as a management system for it, since Mukurtu is built with indigenous concerns foregrounded at the outset (http://www.mukurtu.org/).

I wonder if it might be a good idea to design upwards from the needs of indigenous communities first, and their data/concerns, to your other audiences.

(By the way, this looks interesting as a way of drawing connections between different kinds of resources. Looks like it can be public-facing too, but I only encountered it today, so I don’t know: http://segrada.org/ )

#489

Stacey Camp
    Participant

Good afternoon,

My apologies for not responding sooner, but my entire family has been sick on and off for the past two months.

I started toying with GitHub as a way to get my webpage up and running. I forked someone’s design and started editing it, but got stuck when I went to publish it. I couldn’t figure out how to save the changes/edits I made to the forked code; I pushed it back to the original author for approval, but I still couldn’t see the edits. So, in short, I got frustrated and threw in the towel with GitHub for the time being.

I purchased a subscription to Reclaim, and started playing around with Drupal on it. However, I really want to create an original website for our repository without using something like WordPress, Drupal, or a Bootstrap template. I also got a bit confused with Reclaim; can you upload an .html/.css/etc. file to Reclaim and make that your homepage?

So in the midst of getting frustrated, I started an Adobe Education Exchange course on web development and design this past week, and they are using Muse. I am familiar with a number of Adobe products, so it was much more intuitive to me than sitting down and coding something that is responsive. I created a homepage for our lab using Muse, but I am not sure what it will look like once it is published online. What are others’ thoughts on Muse? Has anyone used it?

As for using a content management system, my goal is to get a brief summary and “finding aid” of our collections online. At this time, we are not going to place the entirety of our collections and their data online. I am trying to take the first step to getting a webpage up for our lab, and then providing a list of our holdings (and a few finding aids) so stakeholders and researchers know what we have. None of the three state archaeological repositories in Idaho have anything like this, so we are trying to pave the way for this type of work in our state.

I appreciate your thoughts on this, and would be happy to share my Muse design thus far for comments and feedback! Where’s the best place to share it?

Stacey

#491

Jolene Smith
    Participant

Hi Stacey!

I also just got a domain on Reclaim (not for my Institute project, just for a personal website now that I’ve got all these mad digital skills). It took me a minute to figure out, but, yes. You can put whatever html/css/etc files on the server. Upload your files to the Public HTML folder. The only hitch I had was dealing with .zip files. If you’ve got a compressed folder like that, upload the whole thing and then click extract from within the application. It seemed to work better than just dragging individual files in. Also, the Reclaim staff seem to be SUPER helpful and responsive if your’re stuck.

I am on the same page re: Drupal/Wordpress/etc. For my Institute project, this is out of necessity. Since I work for the government I’ve got to be really careful of using services and tools that have a lot of dependencies that can either a) pose security risks, or b) break. I’m definitely leaning toward more standalone solutions and am playing around a lot with static page generators.

#497

Stacey Camp
    Participant

Hi Jolene!

Thank you so very much for the quick response. I am glad I wasn’t the only one who had a hard time figuring out where I should place my own files in Reclaim. I will try contacting the Reclaim staff if I have an issue – thanks for the tip!

Yes, I had the same reaction to Drupal/Wordpress. I want to keep our data on our server or a server I maintain, which is very important for those of us working in federal/state/agency/tribal contexts.

Thank you again for the help – I would love to see your personal page! I have one I made on Dreamweaver, and I am going to try to get it up tonight.

#521

Stacey Camp
    Participant

Hello again,

I got my personal website up and running on Reclaim, but it’s not responsive. Can anyone help me make it responsive? I coded it in Dreamweaver. Here is a link to the website:

http://staceylcamp.net/home.html

I know some of the image links and other links are broke, but I know how to fix those. If anyone has a quick workaround for making my website responsive, let me know. I like the layout on a computer screen, but it doesn’t work on a tablet or mobile phone.

Thanks,

Stacey

#530

Ben Carter
    Participant

Stacey,

I just started using Reclaim. It was a bit mystifying at first, but mostly because I was overwhelmed with all of the possibilities. Unfortunately, I can’t help with helping make your site responsive, but I will add my voice to Jolene’s in that the staff at Reclaim has been incredibly helpful.

I installed Omeka (with Neatline and Simile Timeline) and WordPress (mostly just to play with to see if I liked how they worked. I had previously installed both at my institution and it was much, much more difficult. Reclaim is one of my favorite web resources now!

Just as a note in case I can see something that you cannot- I clicked on your link, and got to the home page but, all links were inactive.  All I could see was your name, position and descriptions of the images (but no images).

Good luck!

Cheers,

Ben

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Close

Account Activated

Your account was activated successfully! You can now log in with the username and password you provided when you signed up.

Close

Account sign-in

Please use the form below to sign-in to your account.

Forgot password?
Close

Recover password

Please enter your username or email address. You will receive a link to create a new password via email.

We've sent you an activation link. Please check your inbox.

Close

Account signup

1 Account Info

2 Personal Info

Registering for this site is easy, just fill in the fields below and we'll get a new account set up for you in no time.

In order to avoid spam, automatic account registration is restricted to emails from the following domains – .edu, .org, .gov. To register with a different email address, please write to digitalarchaeology@matrix.msu.edu to request an account.

Success!

A confirmation link has been emailed to you

Skip to toolbar