Group

Group Admins

• Profile picture of Ethan Watrall

Institute for Digital Archaeology Method & Practice

Public Group active 3 years, 1 month ago

Discussion group for the members and faculty of the NEH Funded Institute for Digital Archaeology Method & Practice (http://digitalarchaeology.msu.edu) organized by Michigan State University’s Department of Anthropology and MATRIX: The Center for Digital Humanities and Social Sciences

Fort Snellings

This topic contains 25 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Eric Kansa 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Eric Kansa
    Participant

Hi Nancy,

The Getty has some nicely documented help. Here is their “how-to” on running searches on any label (preferred or alternate) in SPARQL:

(SPARQL examples, Section 2.15)

For an Open Refine recipe, try this in when Creating a new Column by Fetching URLs:

“http://vocab.getty.edu/sparql.json?query=select+*+%7B%3Fsubj+rdfs%3Alabel+%22” + escape(value, “url”) + “%22%40en%7D&toc=Find_Subject_by_Any_Label&implicit=true&equivalent=false”

Fingers crossed that will work!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by  Eric Kansa.

Nancy Hoffman
    Participant

That did the trick! I swear I still have that page open in another tab, but I have not figured out the correct query format. Thanks so much putting it together so I can keep moving forward. The rest is downhill from here.

Eric Kansa
    Participant

Awesome! I’m glad it worked!

🙂

Nancy Hoffman
    Participant

OK Eric –

I finally got a chance to finish the updates to my data. The improved copy is: https://github.com/hoffmanNBH/ShortBarracksWIthURIs (not feeling proficient with forking yet – need to work on that)

I hope this looks good. I forgot to ask about ITIS/EOL terms. I spent some time trying to find URIs for them to no avail. I discovered that the GVP generated a URI for Aves though! I removed it. The only other terms lacking URIs are from my Local vocabulary.

I decided not to convert the vertical measurements to metric because the entire site was excavated in English measurements, both horizontally and vertically (some historic sites in the US are still excavated in tenths of feet). I think that changing the vertical measurements to metric would require changing all the grid coordinates too, causing confusion with regard to notes and maps. I did originally convert a capricious system that bounced between tenths of feet and inches into a standard tenths of feet. What do you think?

Let me know what else I need to do for publication.

-Nancy

Eric Kansa
    Participant

Hi Nancy,

I finally had a chance to look at the revisions in detail. They look really good to me, I especially appreciate how you updated the date fields to be internationally unambiguous. I see a few minor issues (for example I should probably normalize “surface” and “Surface” in the Vertical Reference Point field.), but these are easy for me to fix, since they don’t look conceptually hard. I can do that and push the results to GitHub and you can accept the “pull request” just so we’re all super hipster.</span>

Do you want me to proceed with these minor clean ups and then import the data so you can review how they look in Open Context? Also, do you have image files? If so, we’ll need to arrange transfer. They can be hosted anywhere with persistence (Kora?) or we can arrange archiving with the CDL.

Best, and awesome work with the Getty vocabularies!

-Eric

Eric Kansa
    Participant

Hi Nancy,

I finally had a chance to look at the revisions in detail. They look really good to me, I especially appreciate how you updated the date fields to be internationally unambiguous. I see a few minor issues (for example I should probably normalize “surface<span class=”facet-choice-count”>” and “</span>Surface<span class=”facet-choice-count”>” in the Vertical Reference Point field.), but these are easy for me to fix, since they don’t look conceptually hard. I can do that and push the results to GitHub and you can accept the “pull request” just so we’re all super hipster.</span>

Do you want me to proceed with these minor clean ups and then import the data so you can review how they look in Open Context? Also, do you have image files? If so, we’ll need to arrange transfer. They can be hosted anywhere with persistence (Kora?) or we can arrange archiving with the CDL.

Best, and awesome work with the Getty vocabularies!

-Eric

Nancy Hoffman
    Participant

Hi Eric –

Of course I am glad you have offered to fix the remaining data inconsistencies (even though I am distressed that I missed them). I really appreciate your help with the Getty queries too. I have wanted to try them out for awhile now. I will work on getting the images together for you. Although MNHS technically archives the images, they are not accessible – that’s why I am here.

-Nancy

Nancy Hoffman
    Participant

Eric –

What is the best way to transfer the images? I have ~1.5 GB of .tif files (72 images). Also, I think you will need some of the metadata from the collections management system my records came from – primarily the image record table key (IRN) that I put in my data set. If I had thought it through, I could have included the image file name instead. Live and learn.

-Nancy

Nancy Hoffman
    Participant

Never mind about the DB metadata! I just realized I DID include the image titles in the catalog records. Sometimes I’m smarter than I think (and sometimes not).

Eric Kansa
    Participant

Great! OK. When you a ready with the images, it’s probably easiest to make a table with a manifest of image file names, identifiers for the objects they describe, and any metadata you may have on the images (photographer, title, orientation, type of image, etc.). Dropbox is probably the easiest way to go.

I should have time tomorrow to prepare your dataset your review in Open Context.

Eric Kansa
    Participant

Hi Nancy,

<p>I’ve reviewed your dataset and it looks great! I added a few URIs for Encyclopedia of Life taxa and UBERON for the mandibles, and I also expanded out some abbreviations (AAT, etc.). So I’m more or less ready to import.</p>

<p>However I wanted to check with you about the spatial + stratigraphic organization of the data. I don’t see anything that looks like a clear context identifier, but I see there are some fields that seem related:</p>

• HPU Number
    • Horizontal Coordinate 1
    • Horizontal Coordinate 2

<p>I’d like to have some way of organizing the finds into context identifiers so we can have a hierarchy going from like:</p>

<p>Ft. Snelling -> Ft. Snelling Barracks -> Context ID -> Object ID</p>

<p>We can have multiple hierarchies, but one needs to be designated as the main one for easy navigation.</p>

<p>Should I use “HPU numbers”? There seem to be lots of HPU numbers that are pretty descriptive, and also this field has lots of blank values. Or should I make new IDs based on the two fields for horizontal coordinates?</p>

<p>We may also want to think about providing geospatial polygons (in GeoJSON format) for the different contexts. Then you could do some interesting mapping of the spatial distribution of objects within the barracks?</p>

<p>Let me know!</p>
    <p>-Eric</p>

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Close

Account Activated

Your account was activated successfully! You can now log in with the username and password you provided when you signed up.

Close

Account sign-in

Please use the form below to sign-in to your account.

Forgot password?
Close

Recover password

Please enter your username or email address. You will receive a link to create a new password via email.

We've sent you an activation link. Please check your inbox.

Close

Account signup

1 Account Info

2 Personal Info

Registering for this site is easy, just fill in the fields below and we'll get a new account set up for you in no time.

In order to avoid spam, automatic account registration is restricted to emails from the following domains – .edu, .org, .gov. To register with a different email address, please write to digitalarchaeology@matrix.msu.edu to request an account.

Success!

A confirmation link has been emailed to you

Skip to toolbar