Group

Group Admins

• Profile picture of Ethan Watrall

Institute for Digital Archaeology Method & Practice

Public Group active 5 years, 11 months ago

Discussion group for the members and faculty of the NEH Funded Institute for Digital Archaeology Method & Practice (http://digitalarchaeology.msu.edu) organized by Michigan State University’s Department of Anthropology and MATRIX: The Center for Digital Humanities and Social Sciences

Stahl — Banda through Time

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Catherine Foley 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Catherine Foley
    Participant

Ann,

On one level the two deliverables (repository and website) you identify in your vision document sound completely doable. But when I start digging into the specifics of the vision document, I get a little worried about the scope of your project.

The initial foci for your pilot are small finds (KORA) and faunal materials (Open Context). But you also mention documents, photographs and objects as well as oral interviews and field journals. These are vastly different types of materials — research data (field journals), museum collections (small finds) and structured data (faunal database).

If you intend to publish the faunal data via Open Context, I suggest you pick one of the three other types of resources for the pilot KORA repository — small finds or field research data (field journals, maps/elevations, etc.) or primary source materials (oral interviews and photographs). Focusing in on one of these subsets will allow you to fully develop appropriate metadata for those specific materials and become more comfortable implementing the metadata schema. From there you can perhaps research metadata standards that will be useful for the other types of materials — mindful of how the schemes overlap with metadata used for your pilot.

In short, I suggest you tightly focus your pilot. If one of your broader goals remains digital repatriation, consider which subset of materials you have described in your vision document will have the most significant impact.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Close

Account Activated

Your account was activated successfully! You can now log in with the username and password you provided when you signed up.

Close

Account sign-in

Please use the form below to sign-in to your account.

Forgot password?
Close

Recover password

Please enter your username or email address. You will receive a link to create a new password via email.

We've sent you an activation link. Please check your inbox.

Close

Account signup

1 Account Info

2 Personal Info

Registering for this site is easy, just fill in the fields below and we'll get a new account set up for you in no time.

In order to avoid spam, automatic account registration is restricted to emails from the following domains – .edu, .org, .gov. To register with a different email address, please write to digitalarchaeology@matrix.msu.edu to request an account.

Success!

A confirmation link has been emailed to you

Skip to toolbar